Application Deadline: January 27, 2017
The Chateaubriand Fellowship is a grant offered by the Embassy of France in the United States. It supports outstanding Ph.D. students from American universities who wish to conduct research in France for a period ranging from 4 to 9 months. Chateaubriand fellows are selected through a merit-based competition, through a collaborative process involving expert evaluators in both countries.
STEM: Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics & Health
The Chateaubriand Fellowship in Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics & Biology-Health (STEM) for doctoral students aims to initiate or reinforce collaborations, partnerships or joint projects between French and American research teams. This fellowship is offered by the Office for Science & Technology (OST) of the Embassy of France in partnership with American universities and French research organizations such as Inserm and Inria. It is a partner of the National Science Foundation’s GROW program .
HSS: Humanities and Social Sciences
The Chateaubriand Fellowship in Humanities and Social Sciences (HSS) targets outstanding Ph.D. students from American universities who seek to engage in research in France, in any discipline of the Humanities and Social Sciences. This fellowship is offered by the Cultural Services of the Embassy of France. HSS Chateaubriand fellows are selected through a merit-based competition, using a binational collaborative process involving expert evaluators from both countries.
- Candidates must be currently working on their Ph.D.
- Candidates do not have to be U.S. citizens, but they must be enrolled in an American university.
- Candidates must obtain a letter of recommendation from their advisor(s) in the U.S., as well as a letter of invitation from a professor affiliated with a French university or research institution. Please contact your supervisor in France as early as possible.
For more specific eligibility criteria please visit the website linked below.
- A monthly stipend
- Health insurance for the entire duration of the fellowship
- A round-trip ticket to France
For complete information about this opportunity, including how to apply, click here.