Application deadline: May 15, 2016
The Department of Asian Languages and Literature announces the availability of a Japanese language teaching assistant position for the entire academic year September 2016 – June 2017.
Job duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Teaching Japanese language classes daily (usually in the morning)
- Making/grading tests and homework
- Keeping student records
- Participating in TA meetings
- Collaborating with the supervisor and other TAs
All graduate students accepted by or currently enrolled in the University of Washington are eligible to apply for teaching assistant positions in the Department of Asian Languages and Literature. Strong preference is given to graduate students in the Department of Asian Languages and Literature. Previous TA or instructional experience is a plus.
By the time of appointment, non-native English speaking applicants will have to provide a copy of their TOEFL/IELTS/TSE or VERSANT scores as a part of their application if they did not receive a Bachelor’s degree in one of the following countries: Australia, the Bahamas, Canada, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, New Zealand, Singapore, Trinidad and Tobago, United Kingdom, or the United States.
Selection criteria include:
- Proficiency in the target language
- Command of spoken and written English
- Academic standing
- Evidence of effective teaching potential
- Career plans involving teaching
- Responsibility and the ability to work well with others
- Knowledge of the grammar of the target language and the ability to explain it clearly
- Previous teaching experience
- Previous foreign language teaching course work and training
For complete information about this opportunity, including application instructions, see UW Hires Req. #132118