Application deadline: May 12, 2016
The Carlson Leadership & Public Service Center (Carlson Center) develops service-learning, community-based participatory research, and service opportunities for UW students that sustain reciprocal partnerships, deepen learning, advance civic leadership, and contribute to our greater community. The Carlson Center is part of the Center for Experiential Learning and Diversity (EXPD), which connects undergraduate students to community-based learning, research, and scholarships.
Working at the Carlson Center provides a unique opportunity to learn about public service and the world of non-profit organizations, as well as to gain a better understanding of what is in involved in cultivating partnerships between the University of Washington, community-based organizations, and students. Working at the Carlson Center also means having fun and joining a talented team of hard working and passionate people! For detailed information about the Carlson Center visit uw.edu/Carlson.
The Carlson Center is currently accepting applications for a Graduate Staff Assistant (GSA) to work primarily with our service-learning program. The service-learning program engages UW undergraduates in the community by combining community-based service opportunities with academic coursework. The GSA will also help to coordinate other areas of Carlson Center programming and participate in Center for Experiential Learning & Diversity meetings and activities.
The GSA will work collaboratively on several areas within Carlson Center programming including:
- Working with Carlson Center staff and community-based organizations to develop meaningful service-learning opportunities for University of Washington students that are consistent with the organization’s mission, interests, needs and capacity.
- Presenting service-learning background and instructions to students in service-learning courses.
- Working as a part of the Carlson Center team to advise and enroll service-learning students.
- Assisting in coordination of service-learning logistics and front desk staffing in the Center for Experiential Learning & Diversity.
- Helping to create opportunities for community partners to engage in meaningful conversations with each other and the Carlson Center regarding the service-learning program, partnering with the University of Washington, and their role(s) as co-educators of students.
- Working collaboratively with community partners and Carlson Center staff to implement additional critical engagement and reflection activities for students (such as workshops, one-day service opportunities, and opportunities to present their community-based work).
- Full-time graduate student at the University of Washington
- Experience and interest in working with community-based non-profit organizations
- Desire to actively engage diverse populations of undergraduate students
- Willingness to actively engage in addressing issues of structural inequity, power, and privilege in service-learning experiences
- Work well both as a team member and independently
- Ability to work under pressure, pay attention to detail, and meet deadlines
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Computer literacy
- Experience with database work is desired.
For complete information about this opportunity, including application instructions, see UW Hires Req. #132100