Application deadline: January 29, 2016
The Inter-American (IAF) Grassroots Development Ph.D. Fellowship Program provides support for dissertation field research in Latin America and the Caribbean undertaken by students who have advanced to candidacy for a Ph.D. from a university in the United States.
- The applicant must be currently enrolled in a Ph.D. program in a U.S. university.
- The applicant’s research must be related to topics on grassroots development in the region.
- Successful applicants must have completed all course requirements and qualifying or comprehensive examinations for the doctoral degree before initiating IAF-funded field research. Candidacy is not required at the time of application.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens or citizens of independent Latin American and Caribbean countries (except Cuba).
- Proposals must be for research conducted in independent Latin American and Caribbean countries (except Cuba). Research in Puerto Rico or the Dutch, French and British territories is not eligible.
- Applicants must speak and read the language(s) appropriate to the research. An evaluation is required for each language; native speakers must self-evaluate and send the required form.
- Each applicant must demonstrate at least one planned substantive collaboration during the field research period with a development or applied research institution in the Latin American or Caribbean country of the research. A letter confirming this affiliation is required.
- Applicants must commit to participating in at least one meeting or event organized by the IAF team in the country of the research.
- Applications for clinical research in the health field will NOT be considered.
- The applicant must demonstrate awareness of the IAF’s program in the country(ies) of his/her research.
- Round-trip economy-class transportation to the field research site from the Fellow’s primary residence (in compliance with the Fly America Act);
- A research allowance of up to $3,000, pro-rated monthly;
- A stipend of $1,500 per month for up to 12 months, with partial months pro-rated;
- Accident and sickness insurance or an allowance for Fellows who are native to the country of the research;
- Attendance at a required orientation workshop at IAF’s office in Washington, D.C. to meet IAF staff and create synergies between the Fellow’s research and IAF work.
- Attendance at a required “mid-year” Grassroots Development Conference to share findings and discuss progress with each other, members of the IAF’s academic review committee and IAF and IIE staff.
For complete information about this opportunity, see: http://www.iie.org/Programs/IAF-Grassroots-Development-Fellowship-Program