Application deadline: September 25, 2015
The Department of Psychology has an outstanding opportunity for a 50% FTE Predoctoral Teaching Associate 2 for a Psychology Department course Autumn Quarter 2015 (9/16/2015 – 12/15/2015).
General duties for TA positions in Psychology:
- Attend lectures
- Place course materials on library reserve
- Prepare overheads and/or handout materials
- Manage and respond to course-related e-mail
- Prepare and maintain webpage for course materials
- Develop and maintain electronic bulletin boards, discussion sites, etc.
- Coordinate with Disability Resources for Students Office (DRS) about exam accommodation
- Prepare seating chart for exams
- Conduct quiz section meetings
- Facilitate discussions
- Prepare lectures for quiz sections
- Prepare review materials for quiz sections
- Review literature
- Hold extra review sessions for exams
- Obtain room for review sessions
- Request or acquire necessary equipment
- Hold regular office hours weekly
- Tutor students
- Prepare and maintain course attendance records
- Maintain records on individual students’ assignment completion
- Maintain grading records
- Prepare exam questions, proctor and score exams
- Proctor exams
- Score exams
- Calculate quarter grades
- Request student assessments for course
- Coordinate with OEA for course evaluations
- Attend instructor/TA meetings
- Act as liaison/mediator between student and professor
- Review textbooks for use
- Order textbooks
Must be formally enrolled in the UW Graduate School in a tuition-based (state-funded) program for at least 10 credits during winter quarter 2016. Fee-based (self-sustaining) programs not eligible to apply.
Major components of tuition plus standard salary; salary is commensurate with student standing.
This job classification is governed by a negotiated labor contract and is subject to union shop provisions. For more information about union shop provisions, visit:
- BA in Psychology
- Formally enrolled in the UW Graduate School in a tuition-based (state-funded) program for at least 10 credits during Autumn quarter 2015. Fee-based (self-sustaining) programs not eligible to apply.
Specific requirements for open position (Psych 345):
- Prior coursework in social psychology from a psychological perspective and solid understanding of social psychological theories and constructs and relevant psychological research methods required.
- Experience TAing courses in psychology highly preferred.
- Lead two 1-hour quiz sections meetings each week. Attend two 2-hour lectures per week (MW 12:30-2:20). Attend class staff meetings as scheduled throughout the quarter.
- Cover for other TA in sections if needed, for emergencies (e.g., weather, illness) or special events such as a TA being gone for a conference.
- Grading course tests and papers. Knowledge of APA style highly preferred. Participation in meetings to develop grading reliability across TAs and consistent implementation of grading criteria may be required.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
Condition of Employment:
Formally enrolled in the UW Graduate School in a tuition-based (state-funded) program for at least 10 credits during Autumn quarter 2015. Fee-based (self-sustaining) programs not eligible to apply.
Appointment to this position is contingent upon obtaining satisfactory results from a criminal background check.
Apply through UWHires: http://www.uw.edu/jobs; Req #125012.
Please submit a resume, cover letter and 3 professional references.
Date Available: September 19 (first day of instruction is September 30)
Application Deadline: September 25, 2015
Notifications : We will notify those accepted for the positions the week of September 28, 2015
For complete information about this opportunity, see UW Hires Req. # 125012