Application deadline: July 31, 2015
The Learning Technologies unit within UW Information Technology has an outstanding opportunity for a Graduate Staff Assistant.
- Department: UW Information Technology, Computing Infrastructure Services
- Job Location: 230 Odegaard Undergraduate Library, other locations where needed.
The Learning Technologies (LT) unit within UW Information Technology (UW-IT) works with campus partners on initiatives and outreach that address teaching and learning and provides reliable computing infrastructure for a wide range of academic and administrative uses. During the 2015-2016 academic year, LT is partnering with other units to support the Canvas Learning Management System, Lecture Capture and other instructional technology tools as needed. UW-IT, LT is seeking a UW graduate student to serve as a Graduate Staff Assistant for the 2015-2016 academic year, beginning in September. The Graduate Staff Assistant will contribute to our effort to improve the UW student experience, with a specific focus on Canvas. This includes providing pedagogical support for faculty and students using Canvas and Lecture Capture tools (Panopto).
- Provide faculty and departmental staff with pedagogical and technical support on the use of Canvas (in-person, phone, and email), Tegrity and other instructional technology tools, including assistance with integrating Canvas into courses.
- Utilize instructional design principles and models for the development of instructional technology resources and materials.
- Evaluate, document, and communicate with instructors on emerging teaching technologies and related tools.
- Identify and document best practices for the use of Canvas.
- Assist in evaluation efforts, including data collection and reporting.
- Support outreach efforts to promote the use of Canvas.
- Consult with faculty, students, and departmental staff on technical issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Currently registered UW Graduate Student in good standing and eligibility to hold a Graduate Student Assistantship.
- Candidates should have a genuine interest in educational technology, and enjoy working with and assisting people. Candidates must have excellent oral and written communication skills, good technical aptitude, a proven ability to work well as a member of a team, and the ability to communicate effectively with colleagues. Best candidates will learn new technologies quickly, have some experience teaching with technology at the University level, and have an ability to convey technical concepts in a non-technical way. Preference will be given to applicants with experience in both teaching and creating Web-based materials, though applicants with either an outstanding teaching or technology portfolio are encouraged to apply. Previous experience with Canvas is not required.
- Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
- Administrative experience in Canvas and Panopto highly desired. Experience in a field related to education and technology is desired. Other relevant technology expertise, education, or experience is a plus.
Conditions of Employment:
Candidates are hired through graduate appointments; applicants must therefore be enrolled at the UW and be in good standing with ten credits or more of graduate coursework during autumn, winter, and spring quarters. Applicants must also be able to work 20 hours from Monday through Friday between the hours of 8am and 5pm. The appointment carries a stipend, tuition waiver, and health benefits.
Salary information: http://www.grad.washington.edu/students/fa/salaries/salary-schedules.shtml
This job classification is governed by a negotiated labor contract and is subject to union shop provisions. For more information about union shop provisions, visit: UW/UAW Contract Preamble.
Application review begins immediately. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Notification Deadline: August 17, 2015
Acceptance Deadline: August 31, 2015
For complete position and application information, see UW Hires, Req. #122719