Application deadline: April 30, 2015
The ADVANCE Center for Institutional Change in the College of Engineering has an outstanding opportunity for a 50% Graduate Staff Assistant (20 hours per week) to join our team. ADVANCE seeks to create a diverse, thriving campus in which all faculty in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) receive proper support, flexibility, and recognition to achieve their maximum potentials. ADVANCE is a campus and national resource for best practices in academic leadership development, cultural change, policy transformation, and increasing the advancement and number of women in STEM fields. To learn more about ADVANCE programs, please see our website at http://advance.washington.edu. This position reports to the Program/Research Manager and the Program Operations Specialist of the ADVANCE Center for Institutional Change. Date Available: 6/16/2015
The Graduate Staff Assistant at ADVANCE will assist with various day to day activities including:
- Event coordination, including communication with vendors for workshops, creating and printing name tags, agendas, handouts, packets, and other materials used at events;
- National workshop and symposium application processing, including collating application materials, distributing applications for review, responding to applicants, and maintaining a database of applicants and their statuses;
- Writing/editing marketing materials for ADVANCE projects and workshops; printing and editing flyers and posters for ADVANCE workshops;
- Maintaining the ADVANCE website, including updates via Drupal; web maintenance and updates for affiliated program websites such as BRAINS and PEERs;
- Creating and maintaining program bibliographies for national grant applications through use of EndNote, Mendeley, or other reference program;
- Web researching for the ADVANCE Program/Research Manager, including utilizing search engines, researching articles, researching organizations and identifying contacts;
- Maintaining and updating ADVANCE e-mail lists and database;
- Budget and invoice filing, including maintenance of budget files, sorting and photocopying invoices, and locating missing invoices as identified by the Program Operations Specialist;
- Program file and article organizing and maintenance;
- Other duties as assigned by Program/Research Manager and Program Operations Specialist.
Currently registered UW Graduate Student in good standing and eligibility to hold a Graduate Student Assistantship (must be enrolled in a minimum of 2 credits for summer quarter and 10 credits for autumn, winter, and spring quarters).
Candidates should have a genuine interest in the focus of ADVANCE, and enjoy working with diverse groups of people. Candidates must have excellent written and oral communication skills, organizational skills, detail orientation and ability to prioritize. In addition, candidates must be comfortable with computers, work well as members of teams, communicate effectively with colleagues, exercise good judgment, be open to learning new skills, and meet deadlines.
Preference will be given to students who can work with ADVANCE for two or more years. The position is open to master’s students and doctoral students.
Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint strongly preferred; other desired skills include knowledge of the Adobe Design Suite (Acrobat, Illustrator, Photoshop), EndNote or Mendeley (or other reference systems), Google Documents and website maintenance.
Salary and benefits are paid according to the UW’s Academic Student Employment Salary Schedule
(http://www.grad.washington.edu/students/fa/salaries/2014-15salaries.pdf). Preference will be
granted to students in tuition-based graduate programs.
How to Apply
E-mail Alexis Nelson, ADVANCE Program Operations Specialist, at email@example.com with a cover letter and resume. Please include from where you learned of the position.
Application inquiries may be made with: Alexis Nelson, ADVANCE Program Operations Specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 206.543.4215