Application Deadline: November 7, 2014
Job Dates: 12/16/2014 to 6/15/2015
Location: Information School
This position will average 20 hours per week.
Project Information Literacy (PIL), a national and ongoing research study, in partnership with the University of Washington’s Information School, is in the second year of a two-year quantitative study about lifelong learning and recent college graduates. During the second year, data will be collected using follow up telephone interviews and analyzing data from a large-scale online survey administered in fall 2014, as funded by the federal agency, The Institute of Museum and Library Services. The study is investigating how a sample of relatively recent graduates from nine colleges and universities in the US put information literacy competencies into practice as they meet their lifelong learning needs for staying competitive and employable in the workplace and engaging in civic affairs and personal development in life at large.
This position purpose is to work under the direction of the Principal Investigator, providing overall project coordination for the duration of the two-year grant (September 2013 – September 2015). The RA participates in carrying out the following research activities:
Scheduling, managing, and conducting follow up interviews with subjects that are recent college graduates, contributing expertise to interpreting both qualitative and quantitative findings and their significance, running statistical analysis of data from the online survey results, and writing reports and making presentations, as needed, about research findings.
• Conducting follow-up interviewing of subjects
• Contributing expertise to survey data analysis (including interpretation of statistical results)
• Analyzing qualitative and quantitative data and write up findings memos of key findings
• Contributing content to the PIL Web site and research report
• Conducting “Smart Talk” interviews with leading thinkers
• Making presentations, writing papers, and sharing findings with larger academic community
• Currently enrolled graduate student at the University of Washington
• Must be enrolled in at least 10 credits during winter and spring quarters
• Significant knowledge about quantitative data analysis
• Significant qualitative research experience
• Understanding of information literacy and lifelong learning
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Strong attention to detail
• Able to work efficiently and independently in a rapidly changing work environment
• Computer-proficient and comfortable using software applications such as Windows, Microsoft Office, and UW’s Catalyst System.
• Demonstrated experience using research software such as SPSS and interpreting statistical results
• CITI certified for engaging in data collection and data analysis
• Experience working in a virtual team setting
• Experience collaborating with a geographically diverse research team
• Experience conducting telephone interviews
• Experience with writing research briefs and publications
This position is open to all currently enrolled graduate students at the University of Washington. This position is eligible for tuition waiver and benefits. Questions regarding salary and benefits should be directed to Angela Czaja, HR Coordinator, at email@example.com.
1. Please include a cover letter briefly describing your skills and experiences relevant to this type of position in one page or less
2. Attach a current resume that includes your work history and academic accomplishments
Please submit all applications no later than Friday, November 7th, 2014 to be considered for this position. All applicants will be contacted within two weeks after of the closing date.
Note: This job classification is governed by a negotiated labor contract and is subject to union shop provisions. For more information about union shop provisions, visit:www.washington.edu/admin/hr/jobs/apl/union-info.html
The University of Washington is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and covered veterans are encouraged to apply.