Application Deadline: May 16, 2014
Notification: May 30, 2014
Start Date: June 23, 2014
The Center on Reinventing Public Education (CRPE) is a research center at the University of Washington
Bothell. The Center engages in research and analysis aimed at developing focused, effective and
accountable schools in urban areas and systems that support them. The Center’s work seeks to inform
community leaders, policy makers, school and school system leaders and the research community. The
Center pursues a national program of research and development on policy proposals such as charter
schools, school contracting, equitable district budgeting policies, choice, and school system
decentralization. It also conducts research into reform initiatives in Washington State and the Seattle
Public Schools. More information on our work is available at http://www.crpe.org.
CRPE is seeking a Research Assistant for the 2014 Summer Quarter, with the potential for continued
employment, depending on funding and performance.
Location: CRPE is located in an off-campus office in Seattle’s South Lake Union neighborhood (a short
bus trip from the Seattle Campus and accessible with University Transit Service).
Project: The CRPE Research Assistant will support a research project that examines the characteristics and
implications of different governance arrangements in urban areas where parents can choose to send their
children to a range of publically funded schools, including traditional public schools, charter schools, and,
in some cases, voucher schools. The array of school choice in these cities raises important questions
about how to oversee and support public education when it is coproduced by many different
organizations. The project uses quantitative and qualitative research methods to examine governance
models in a variety of cities with the goal of better understanding how government can productively
oversee and support a dynamic system of publically funded schools.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include
- Assisting with administrative project tasks, specifically:
- Building quantitative dataset using public and confidential data (e.g., student
- achievement data, data on school choice and governance)
- Building qualitative dataset using confidential interview data
- Creating and maintaining documentation on datasets and procedures
- Assisting staff with IRB and data licensing requirements
- Analyzing quantitative data from various sources using advanced correlational techniques
- (e.g., logistic regression, time series analyses)
- Assisting staff in generating reports, tables, and graphical displays
- Assisting with research papers, presentations and analyses, specifically:
- Conducting literature reviews
- Providing accurate references and methodology descriptions for research papers
- Analyzing data using regression analysis
- Creating presentation slides using PowerPoint software
- Other duties as assigned
The Research Assistant will report to Dr. Betheny Gross, CRPE Research Director & Sr. Research
Analyst, and will consult closely with the Center’s research staff.
- Applicants must be a UW student currently enrolled in a Masters or Doctoral program in Political
Science, Policy Studies, Sociology, Statistics, Education, or other related field.
Additional minimum requirements:
- Candidates must possess excellent organizational skills, at least one year of demonstrated research experience, a minimum of two years of advanced-level experience with SAS, STATA or other similar data analysis software, and familiarity with Microsoft Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Also required are excellent written and oral communication skills, and an ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Some background in education policy is preferred.
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter and CV/resume to: Allison Saville at email@example.com by COB
Friday 5/16/14. Please include “CRPE RA APPLICATION” in the subject line.