Application Deadline: November 12, 2013
Start Date: December 16, 2013
Notification Deadline: December 2, 2013
General Information: The College of Education seeks a graduate student for the role of Research Assistant in the College’s Office of Institutional Research and Information Management. This is a two-quarter temporary position.
Basic Function: The Research Assistant will be responsible for collecting, analyzing, and reporting/presenting data in such a way as to support program and administrative process improvement throughout the College.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Analyze and synthesize College, UW, and higher education data for College leadership, including the Deans, College Leadership Council, Faculty Council and Committees, and College administrators.
- Administer and analyze College program evaluation surveys and annual student surveys.
- Assist Institutional Research Director in designing and implementing qualitative and quantitative research methods to analyze academic programs and operations.
- Gather and format data for program accreditation needs.
- Use time management skills to balance multiple requests for data from various stakeholders.
General Qualifications: Must be a UW graduate student enrolled in 10 credits per quarter of employment.
Preference will be given to applicants who exhibit the following qualifications, as evidenced in their letter of application, transcripts of past coursework, and prior work experiences.
Education: Master’s degree in education or a closely related field.
Work Experience: The position requires professional experience in higher education or closely related field. Experience researching, tracking, and using reporting systems for data and statistics; broad awareness of the field of education, its constituent fields and domains, as well as sources of information about current and emerging trends in the field (national and regional institutes, centers, foundations; sources of data and reports).
Specific Qualifications and Responsibilities:
- Excellent data analysis skills, including research, data mining, analysis, and validation.
- Ability to generate clear representations of data to diverse audiences in narrative, tabular, and graphical forms.
- Demonstrated experience understanding, relating, and reconciling, data from distinct sources.
- Proven ability to learn new technologies and solve problems resourcefully.
- Understanding of data security procedures.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to work with Deans, faculty groups and committees, and other parts of the College of Education staff.
- Ability to interpret and clarify data requests from various constituent groups.
- Ability to negotiate various reporting systems provided by the institution.
- Strong communication skills in oral and written presentation of data.
- Proficiency with core technologies, including Windows and MS Excel; experience using Microsoft Access or similar database programs; familiarity with web databases.
- Working knowledge of UW data systems preferred.
Salary: Salary and benefits are competitive. Salary is commensurate with academic standing, qualifications, and experience.
How to Apply: Submit a resume/CV along with a cover letter describing interest in, and qualifications for, the position to:
Assistant Dean for Academic & Student Affairs
College of Education
email@example.com (submit applications by email only, please)
Application inquiries may be made to: Same as above.
Notes: This job classification is governed by a negotiated labor contract and is subject to union shop provisions. For more information about union shop provisions, visit: http://www.washington.edu/admin/hr/jobs/apl/union-info.html