Deadline: June 15, 2013
The William Ervant Docter Educational Fund was established at St. Mary Armenian church in 1998 at the behest of a generous and benevolent Armenian-American, the late Mr. William E. Docter (Ervant Hekimian). It was Mr. Docter’s wish to help American citizens of Armenian ancestry to pursue studies and training in the United States or Canada.
The Fund was established to provide grants of up to $5000 to worthy students regardless of age, gender, or level of education or training. Mr. Docter entrusted the task of administering the Fund to St. Mary Armenian Apostolic Church in Washington, D.C.
1. The applicant must be a citizen of the United States.
2. The applicant must be of Armenian ancestry. Those with two parents of Armenian ancestry will be considered first.
3. The applicant must show need for financial assistance
4. The applicant must demonstrate academic and/or technical excellence in their chosen field.
5. The applicant must pursue studies or training in the United States or Canada.
The following information must be submitted to the WED Educational Fund Scholarship Committee before June 15, 2013 for consideration of awards for the 2013-2014 school year.
1. A completed application form.
2. A statement of purpose, not to exceed one type-written page, describing your program of study or training and your career objectives.
3. One copy of your official school/institution transcript mailed by your institution’s Registrar’s Office.
4. Two letters of recommendation. One letter should be from a professor or teacher who knows your academic work; another may be from an employer or mentor who can attest to your personal and professional maturity. Letters of reference are to be mailed by the referent directly to the WED Fund. Please note: new letters of recommendation are required for previous applicants.
5. Evidence of financial need. Please include a copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR) and a copy of the Financial Award Letter from the institution you plan to attend. If neither of the above is applicable to you, then please submit a signed copy of your 2011 Federal Tax Return.
6. Proof of citizenship. Please include one of the following as proof of citizenship: birth certificate, passport, or an I-797 form.
For more information, as well as the application form, see: