Deadline: December 12, 2012
Winter -Spring Quarters 2013
Application Deadline: December 12, 2012
Notification: December 15, 2012
Start Date: December 16, 2012
The Center on Reinventing Public Education (CRPE) is a research center at the University of Washington Bothell. The Center engages in research and analysis aimed at developing focused, effective and accountable schools in urban areas, and systems that support them. The Center’s work seeks to inform community leaders, policy makers, school and school system leaders and the research community. The Center pursues a national program of research and development on such proposals as charter schools, school contracting, equitable district budgeting policies, choice, and school system decentralization. It also conducts research into reform initiatives in Washington State and the Seattle Public Schools. More information on our work is available at www.crpe.org.
CRPE is seeking a Research Assistant for the remainder of the 2012-13 academic year, with the potential for continued employment, depending on funding and performance. The CRPE Research Assistant will support quantitative research in the areas of district, school, and teacher evaluation, with a particular focus on growth modeling.
Location: CRPE is located in an off-campus office in Seattle’s South Lake Union neighborhood (a short bus trip from the Seattle Campus and accessible with University Transit Service).
• Assisting with administrative project tasks, specifically:
– Building quantitative dataset using public and confidential data
– Creating and maintaining instructional documentation on all data procedures
– Assisting staff with IRB and data licensing requirements
– Analyzing quantitative data from various sources
– Assisting staff in generating reports, tables, and graphical displays
• Assisting with research papers, presentations and analyses, specifically:
– Conducting literature reviews
– Providing accurate references and methodology descriptions for research papers
– Analyzing data using regression analysis and sophisticated econometric modeling techniques
– Building and maintaining a reference library using Endnote software
– Creating presentation slides using PowerPoint software
• Other duties as assigned
The Research Assistant will report to Dr. Betheny Gross, CRPE Research Director & Sr. Research Analyst, and will consult closely with the Center’s research staff.
Requirements:Applicants must be a UW student currently enrolled in a Masters or Doctoral program in Economics, Education, Policy Studies, Statistics, Sociology, or other related field.
Additional minimum requirements: Candidates must possess excellent organizational skills, at least one year of demonstrated research experience, a minimum of one year of advanced-level experience with SAS, STATA or other similar data analysis software, and familiarity with Microsoft Excel, and PowerPoint. Also required are excellent written and oral communication skills, and an ability to work independently and as part of a team. Some background in education policy is preferred.
How to apply: Please send a cover letter and CV/resume to: Betheny Gross at firstname.lastname@example.org by COB Wednesday December 12, 2012. Please include “CRPE RA APPLICATION” in the subject line. Review of applications will begin upon receipt and the position will remain open until filled.