New Deadline: Friday, February 24, 2012
Fogarty Leadership Fellows Program Announcement:
The Fogarty Leadership Fellows program provides graduate level (Master’s or PhD) students with specialized training to improve leadership, management and policy skills in the field of health sciences. Fellows will receive intensive leadership, management and policy training during the spring 2012 quarter, followed by a binationally mentored three-month project in Peru.
The Fogarty Leadership Fellowship is available to three outstanding University of Washington Graduate students and three graduate students from various institutions in Peru. The focus of this program is to develop leadership skills through cross-cultural collaboration and design and implementation of a multidisciplinary project addressing issues affecting health in Peru. This year, project areas will include: interaction of business and pharmacy to improve management of chronic diseases, informatics to streamline health information systems, and point of care diagnostics through bioengineering to enhance maternal-child care.
The requirements of the Fellowship are:
- Participation in a 2-credit spring quarter bidirectional course with UW and Peruvian students. This course will use a virtual classroom to allow for real-time discussions between UW and Peruvian students. An additional 2-unit independent study is required for each fellow group to prepare a project for the summer.
- 2.5 months in Peru working with a Peruvian Fogarty Leadership Fellow(s) to plan and implement an interdisciplinary health project in Peru. These projects will not focus on medical solutions but will be interdisciplinary and appropriate for students with skills in health sciences, business, public policy or international affairs.
- Upon return from Peru, Fellows will prepare their work for publication.
Interested applicants should meet the following criteria:
- Be a terminal-year graduate student (PhD, MPH, MBA, MPA, etc) from any discipline.
- Have an interest in exploring and addressing the broader socioeconomic, political, and technological aspects of disease prevention and management.
- Be comfortable communicating in Spanish.
The Fellowship includes the following:
- Airfare and a stipend for living expenses while in Peru.
- Mentoring from faculty and staff at the University of Washington and the Universidad Peruano Cayetano Heredia in Lima, Peru.
Submit all application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Letter of Interest
- Resume (2 pg. limit)
- Contact information for three references
The application Deadline is Friday February 24th.
Questions? Email email@example.com
To view announcement: Fogarty Leadership Fellows Announcement (pdf)