Deadline: Application must be postmarked by December 30, 2011
The Washington Library Association awards one or more scholarships annually to WLA members who are enrolled in an ALA-accredited MLIS degree program and have completed at least one semester or quarter. The scholarships are up to $6,000 per recipient. Applicants are evaluated based on demonstrated potential for leadership in the profession and commitment to libraries and library service.
These criteria will be used by the Scholarship Committee to evaluate your application:
- Current membership in the Washington Library Association.
- Washington State residency.
- Satisfactory completion of at least one semester or quarter in an ALA-accredited program leading to the Master’s degree in Library and Information Science.
- Demonstration of potential for leadership in the profession and commitment to libraries and library service.
- Current or previous involvement with WLA, or plan to be active in WLA during the academic year in which the scholarship is awarded (e.g., serve as intern to Alki editorial committee, contributor to Alki, student liaison to WLA Board, active in WLA interest group, involvement with WLA or WALE conference programs).
December – Announcement posted
December 30 – Deadline for applications
February date TBD – Top candidates interviewed
April 18-20- Scholarship awarded at the 2012 WLA Conference in Tulalip, WA
How to Apply
Complete the Application form and attach to it:
– Your current resume.
– Copy of an official transcript from the MLIS program you are attending, showing work completed during your last
semester or quarter.
– Three letters of recommendation, with at least one from a professor or advisor in your MLIS program. Each letter of
recommendation should include contact information (email and telephone) for the person writing it.
Washington Library Association, Attn: MLIS Scholarship, 23607 Highway 99, Suite 2-C, Edmonds, WA 98026.
Faxes will not be accepted.
The application and ALL materials must be postmarked by December 30, 2011. Incomplete applications will not be eligible for consideration.
Washington Library Association Scholarship Information: http://wla.org/training/scholarships/gradscholarships/